[AG-TECH] RAT not finding audio card

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:30:18 CST 2001

Hi all, I've found the likely reason that I can't receive anybody's
audio is that rat isn't finding my audio card.  Apparently, being
able to hear a Neil Young cd or a RealAudio stream (which I guess
operates in half-duplex) is no guarantee that rat will work (which
I guess operates in duplex.  Essentially, when I go through the audio
menu of rat, under the "select alternate devices" (or something like
that section, the only option is something like "No Audio Device"

I "guess" that maybe there's an IRQ assignment problem that "maybe"
I need to look into but, in /var/log/messages, at boot, I get
a message saying:

-------------
Feb 27 15:34:57 AGNAudioCapture modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-sl
ot-0
Feb 27 15:34:57 AGNAudioCapture modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-se
rvice-0-6

Does anybody know if these are actually needed by rat, or am I probably safe
ignoring
this?

Thanks, Don

Don Morton                     http://www.cs.umt.edu/u/morton/
Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139