[AG-TECH] question on Dell presicion 530

lujian lujian at nlsde.buaa.edu.cn
Fri Aug 17 06:02:26 CDT 2001

Hi,
	I just bought a Dell precision 530(2 Xeon 1.7G/512 ECC Rambus/Matrox 450).

	I use AG ddvic to receive about 30 channel 500k~2M bps vic videos, and the total bandwidth is about 15Mbps. and I render all the 30 videos.

	I compared ddvic CPU usage with my early bought Precision 420( 2 933 PIII/ 256 Rambus/Matrox 450),  and I found the agddvic CPU usage in 530 is higher than in 420!!!!

	I use small window, mid window ,and large window of VIC, and got the same result.

	The 530 machine and 420 machine are all Win2k pro, with Direct 8, in 16bit color depth.

	I compared Memory speed of the two machine, the 530 is about twice faster than 420.

	So can anybody tell me why 530 use more CPU than 420 when I receive and render 30 videos using VIC??

	I find in BIOS that 530 use 100MHz bus speed, and 420 use 133MHz bus speed, is that the reason?

	I always encounter problems with Dell machine when I setup AG node( 3 month ago I found my 420 don't support 4 bttv card in linux then). :-(. :(!!!!!!

	Thank you in advance!

Lu Jian
National Lab of Software Development Environment
Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics
P.R.C.

phone: 86-10-82317603
fax: 86-10-82317619
email:lujian at nlsde.buaa.edu.cn