[AG-TECH] RH 7.1 and video instability

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 14 20:13:04 CDT 2001

Oh, that reminds me. Ran across this article the other day:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-hw2.html

 From its intro:

>One of Linux's claims to fame is its legendary stability. But the most
>stable operating system in the world won't do you any good if your
>hardware is defective or misconfigured. In this article, Daniel Robbins
>shares his experiences in getting his NVIDIA TNT graphics card working
>under Linux using NVIDIA's accelerated drivers. As he does, he'll show you
>how to diagnose and fix IRQ and PCI latency timer issues -- techniques you
>can use to ensure that your systems don't experience lock-ups,
>inconsistent behavior, or data loss.

Another piece of information folks should send when debugging hangs or
crashes is the interrupt assignments, like so (from the FL Library video
capture machine):

$ cat /proc/interrupts
            CPU0       CPU1
   0:   53452187   53423538    IO-APIC-edge  timer
   1:        148        129    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
   2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   8:          0          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
   9:   93086119   93066418   IO-APIC-level  bttv, bttv
  10: 1144679067 1144195741   IO-APIC-level  eth0
  11:   46647656   46655902   IO-APIC-level  bttv
  12:        614        581    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
  13:          1          0          XT-PIC  fpu
  14:    4759600    4740341    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
  15:   46651792   46617554   IO-APIC-level  bttv
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

--bob