[AG-TECH] MSB and Linux

Toerless Eckert eckert at cisco.com
Sun Aug 12 19:42:51 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 07:28:45PM -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
> Did he know if the VPN boxes did indeed support multicast? Perhaps we
> should look into what it might take (say, for the porta-ag..)

Well, i wasn't really thinking about VPN boxes directly, i was rather thinking about L2TP tunnel
into an aggregation router (or some dedicated VPN box, right, but yes -  i do not know if those support
ip multicast). The main point is to have the tunnel endpoint software available on the
designated end system platform, and L2TP seems to be the most commonly available, but Bill
also said that with your particular platform (Linux at least in one system, GRE might also be
an option. The advantage of L2TP for larger scaling setups is the dialup style user authentication
you can typically configure, whereas GRE is always statically configured and authentication is only
via ip address of the remote endpoint.

Cheers
	Toerless