[AG-TECH] MSB and Linux

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 12 14:40:11 CDT 2001

At 10:39 AM 5/11/2001 -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
>There are papers about from fermi (one at CHEP; the authors were bill
>lidinsky and gary roediger). We'd like to strongly discouraging using
>folks from  using msb, however. If people really want/need such
>functionality, a new tool should be designed and built that gets around
>the maintenance problems and bugs in the existing msb. (Bugs that include
>spewing tens of megabits of traffic to clients that don't want it any more).
>
>--bob

Toerless Eckert from Cisco talked to me about this at IETF last week in London.

He suggested that we should look into using VPN server boxes and VPN client
software to provide this functionality where necessary.  The VPN servers
are already scaling to 100s and 1000s of clients, and are off-the-shelf.

Of course I agree with Bob: the best alternative is to get native multicast
properly deployed to the various sites.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov