[AG-TECH] Question about the beacon client.

Chris Geddings cegeddin at colltech.com
Mon Apr 30 16:59:04 CDT 2001

So,
I'm having a slew of multicast issues.  At least I think they are
multicast issues.  I'm trying to use the beacon to help me diagnose
some of these problems, or at least prove to the appropriate people
that they exist.  When I go to shut down the beacon, it stops okay,
but leaves me in the multicast group until I reboot the machine.  Is
there a way to gracefully exit the nlanr-beacon that also tells the
kernel to remove me from the multicast group?

They way I know that it doesn't remove me from the multicast group,
at least from the kernel perspective, is that before starting the
beacon, I cat /proc/net/igmp.  After starting the beacon, I note that
an additional group has been added in that file.  After stoping the
beacon that group is not gone.  On a reboot, the group is not in the
file.

I'm *guessing* that as the application exits, it never tells the kernel
that it no longer needs the services of that group, and so the kernel
keeps thinking it has an application needing to be a member of that
group,
so continues to listen to traffic for that group.  Following, the router
never finds out that the client machine that requested that group
membership doesn't need to be a member any more, and so continues to
remain a member of that group and so on.

Feedback?

--Chris