[AG-TECH] Cyberarts on the AG invitation

Laura Giannitrapani laura at cgl.bu.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:39:48 CDT 2001

Hi folks,

We are working on this new project described below, and are looking for
interested AG participants with mature AG nodes and well debugged multicasting.
Please let us know if you are interested in working with us on this.

The Scientific Computing and Visualization group at Boston University is working
on a new project called "Gallery on the Grid". This project is a collaboration
between the SCV staff and three Boston University artists. There are two pieces
in the "gallery". They are "Tracer" by Deborah and Richard Cornell - a luminous
environment where the gestures of language, art, and nature meet and are
transformed by remote participants - and "Soft, Fluffy, and Virtual" by Cindy
Ludlam - a compelling textural environment with hundreds of physical and virtual
purring kittens. Both pieces have an Access Grid component and a virtual
component which can be viewed on an ImmersaDesk. "Soft, Fluffy, and Virtual"
also has a physical installation. All of the components are integrated so that
a visitor on the Access Grid can view, navigate in, and otherwise interact
with the virtual component and its visitors. For example, in "Tracer", AG
visitors will be able to draw lines in the environment via an application
running on a laptop. Visitors to the Access Grid will also be able to view
the physical installation of "Soft, Fluffy, and Virtual" through video streams
and be able "talk" with other remote visitors on the AG and in the virtual
environment. However, their voices will be distorted to sound like cats...
There is a complete list of features on the Web site:

     http://scv.bu.edu/hipart/GoGrid/

This is a very very new project. Nevertheless, we plan to show it during the
upcoming Boston Cyberarts Festival (April 21 - May 6) and then after it matures
a bit, perhaps at SC Global. We know it is very late to be looking for remote
Access Grid participants, but if you would be interested in participating with
us, we would be delighted. We will be hosting visitors to the virtual
environment and the physical installation in Boston at our Computer
Graphics Lab and to the AG at our AG Facility. For the Boston Cyberarts Festival,
we are looking for remote participants for the AG. In the future, we may also
look for remote participants in VR over an ImmersaDesk or CAVE. If you would
be interested in participating over the Access Grid during Cyberarts, we will
need to have some test cruises later this week and next week. Technical
information and the tentative schedule are on the Web at the site mentioned
above. Each showtime is two hours long plus one half to one hour setup before.
Please click on "more information" under each art work for the technical details.
Glenn Bresnahan (glenn at bu.edu, (617)353-1319) is the technical contact for this
round. Jennifer Teig von Hoffman (jtvh at bu.edu, (617)358-0033) will be coordinating
the test cruises and final schedules with all AG participants.

"Gallery on the Grid" is HiPArt's (High Performance Computing in the Arts)
latest project. HiPArt is an outreach program coordinated by the Scientific
Computing and Visualization group at Boston University fostering a collaboration
between software developers and artists and making high performance computing,
networking, and graphics resources available to the art community. HiPArt's
previous projects include the popular Spirited Ruins and ArtWorld.
For more information on HiPArt and the Cyberarts Festival, please visit the
Web sites:

      http://scv.bu.edu/hipart/
      http://www.bostoncyberarts.org/

If you're interested in participating in this project during the Boston
Cyberarts festival, please send mail to Jennifer (jtvh at bu.edu) and myself
(laura at bu.edu) indicating the following:

1) A technical contact, who will operate your AG node during the test cruises
   and the actual event.

2) A logistics contact, who will provide directions and any other logistics
   support necessary for visitors from the public to your site.

3) The time(s) listed on our web site schedule when you'd like to participate.
   The reception is a long stretch and if you wish to participate for only
   "Tracer" or Fluffy", let us know which one. "Spirited Ruins" Does not have
   an AG component. Please note that all times on our Web site are EDT.

4) A list of times on Friday, April 20 and during the week of April 23 when
   your site is available to participate in test cruises.

If you have questions about any aspects of the project or participating with
us for the Cyberarts Festival, please don't hesitate to ask either me or
Jennifer.

      Best regards,
      Laura

Laura Giannitrapani