[AG-TECH] Diffs draft-nickless-ipv4-mcast-bcp-01.txt from -00

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 5 23:14:01 CDT 2001

I just posted draft-nickless-ipv4-mcast-bcp-01.txt to the mboned mailing
list, as well as to internet-drafts at ietf.org for posting in the regular
places.

  -01 is available immediately at

    http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/~nickless/draft-nickless-ipv4-mcast-bcp-01.txt

and in Microsoft Word format at

    http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/~nickless/draft-nickless-ipv4-mcast-bcp-01.txt

Updates include:

   - Explicitly mention that the internetwork must keep track of all
     sources under the ASM model.

   - Changed the wording of the BGP NLRI=Multicast semantic description
     <bar>".  My intent here is to describe what's going on in the
     real world of implementation and deployment, while avoiding the
     minefield of overloading existing definitions (or lack thereof).

   - Changed the inter-AS peering description to describe the use of
     any join/forward protocol that supports (S,G) joins.  PIM-SM
     used as the specific example currently used.

   - Explained the interpreted semantics of NLRI=Multicast in the
     historical context of controlling DVMRP forwarding topology.

   - Added the SAFI=3 case (both unicast and multicast).

   - Defined the term "PIM Sparse Mode domain".

   - Mentioned that there is generally one PIM Sparse Mode Domain
     per Autonomous System.

   - Explicitly stated that under SSM there is no need for PIM Sparse
     Mode Rendezvous Points.

   - Expanded on the use of IGMP over PPP connections (dialups).

   - Added reference to Core Based Trees in the MSDP section.

   - Expanded explanation of peering TTL 32 barrier.

   - Added description of PIM Sparse Mode Denial of Service vulnerabilities.

   - Expanded acknowledgements.

Please continue to comment and suggest updates.  Again I thank everyone who
has read the -00 draft, and especially thank those who have sent feedback.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov