ON AIR

Jonas Talandis jonast at evl.uic.edu
Thu Sep 28 14:05:22 CDT 2000

We bought a few of the studio "ON AIR" lights from Markertek. Our thought
was to use cheap I/O cards in the video and audio machines to drive a SSR
to switch the 120V lamp inside the signs. The sign templates would be
printed for 'live mic' or 'live video' or whatever messages. We never got
around to trying to interface a trigger for the transmit states. We're
still interested if someone has some code or ideas to share.

At 09:36 PM 9/27/00 , Bob Olson wrote:
>I've put together a similar thing, in software, that puts up a red "Mics
>Live" or somesuch on the display. It required a little hacking of rat, and
>a server thing to run on the audio machine.
>
>A better (simpler anyway) way might be to do a different rat modification
>to have it connect to the "sign daemon".
>
>Hm. Or have something monitoring the audio channel for local traffic.
>
>--bob
>
>On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Jeff Ramacher wrote:
>
> > Humor me...  I would like to install an "ON AIR" sign in our AG room,
> > which could be manually turned on and off as needed.  I was
> > thinking it would be really cool if this could be triggered
> > automatically by vic or rat or both.
> >
> > I think there are two problems to solve.  First, interfacing the
> > computer(s) to the sign.  This would be fun with a programmable LED
> > marquee, but a simple on/off light with X10 controller would work too.
> >
> > Second, vic and rat would need to alert an external process each time
> > the "transmit" button's state changes.  I guess this could be as simple
> > as updating a status file, although there are probably more
> > efficient ways.
> >
> > Does anyone know how hard it would be to add this functionality to
> > vic and rat?  Or, has anyone already done this?
> >
> > Thanks :-)
> > --
> > Jeff Ramacher (jeffr at mhpcc.edu)                | (808) 879-5077, x264
> > Maui High Performance Computing Center (MHPCC) | fax (808) 879-5018
> >                                                | http://www.mhpcc.edu

Jonas Talandis
Electronic Visualization Laboratory
University of Illinois at Chicago