visca cables?

Jeff Ramacher jeffr at mhpcc.edu
Fri Oct 13 16:12:04 CDT 2000

Yes, that's correct.  We just got two of them from PicturePhone Direct
(with two new Sony EVI-D30 cameras).  You can also get cables with the
proprietary connector on both ends to daisy chain multiple cameras
together (the cameras have in/out VISCA ports).  Our cables have
proprietary connectors on one end, and 9-pin D style connectors on the
other.

We use 50ft cables to connect our two cameras (one cable per camera) to
a Telemetrics control panel, which allows us to remotely pan/tilt, zoom,
focus, and set up to 4 presets for each camera.  It has a built-in
joystick controller too.  We could also connect the cameras to COM ports
on a computer.  Sony has software to control the cameras that way, and I
believe a SDK if you want to do so from your own application.  The
Telemetrics unit is a lot of fun though, and it worked without hassle
out of the box!

Prices on all of this from PicturePhone Direct:

Sony EVI-D30 camera $1029/ea
Telemetrics Controller (can control up to 4 cameras) $825
50ft VISCA cable $95/ea
50ft S-Video 4 pin mini-din cable $30/ea
Bogen model 3021 tripod (w/ model 3126 fluid head) $201/ea
--
Jeff Ramacher (jeffr at mhpcc.edu)                | (808) 879-5077, x264
Maui High Performance Computing Center (MHPCC) | fax (808) 879-5018