PROPOSAL: turning off Argonne bridges

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 28 11:05:38 CST 2000

Nice job, Bill.  I especially liked the Website explanation, with pictures yet!

My one questions is does this actually raise the cost of equipment to set
up an AG node by $4000, or is other equipment no longer necessary if you
use the new Cisco router?

Thanks,

Barbara
------------

At 03:52 PM 01/27/2000 -0600, Bill Nickless wrote:
>I propose Argonne turn off the unicast/multicast bridges that have been
>supporting the Access Grid effort, effective on Wednesday, 1 March 2000.
>
>Reasons for doing this include:
>
>  - Moving forward on the Virtual Venue deployment.  VV is incompatible
>    with the use of unicast/multicast bridges.
>
>  - Generally encouraging the use of native IP multicast.
>
>In lieu of supporting the unicast/multicast bridges, I would be pleased to
>help deploy native IP multicast at the various Access Grid sites.  This can
>be done through the "Roll Your Own" multicast method as has been done at
>the University of New Mexico.  Each Access Grid site would need to purchase
>a Cisco 2621 router if the local site IP multicast is not working
>well.  The date of 1 March 2000 has been chosen to allow the Cisco 2621
>router to be ordered and delivered before the cutoff date.
>
>See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/home/nickless/RollOwnMulticast.ppt for more
>information and background on this option.
>
>In parallel with a "Roll Your Own" IP multicast implementation, I would be
>happy to work with your local networking people to deploy IP multicast
>routing natively.  Through the Access Grid and Chautauqua experience, the
>network folks have learned a lot about native multicast deployment, and we
>would be happy to share what we've learned with your people.
>
>Obviously comments are welcome and encouraged.
>===
>Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
>PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their
lives by altering their attitudes of mind." - William James