Gentner trick: tuning local reinforcement

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 8 14:02:49 CDT 2000

At HPDC we had to do local reinforcement, and I was running into bad
problems with feedback if the mic gain was up high enough to drive the
audio PC. Found the following thing to do to separately control the gain
fed back to the local speakers:

Do not route mics directly to speakers.
Route mics to Sub Bus 1.
Route Sub Bus 1 to speakers.
Click on the Sub Bus 1 button in the main window and adjust attenuation to
get the right level into the room.

This goes along with the fix of routing the codec audio to an output, and
setting that output to be the EC ref (not the speakers). This gets rid of
the local and remote garbling you'll otherwise see.

See http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/local-reinforce.jpg for a picture
of this setup.

--bob