Russ is da man (conf call switchover)

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 28 13:14:25 CDT 2000

At 12:42 PM 4/28/2000 -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
>The thing to remember is that we have plans, not involving windows and the
>AudioPerfect tools, and not only involving the Gentner, for the control
>machine.
>
>--bob

Are these plans compatible with Linux on the control machine?

On the other hand, are you saying that we should hold off on the
Linux/VMWare/W98 solution, on the control machine, until these plans come
to fruition?

It seems to me that the important thing to take away from this conversation
is the need for the Audio Perfect Tools Version 2.0 to be running on the
control machine, as of today--28 April 2000.  It is irrelevant whether this
is done through a native Windows 98 installation on the Control machine, or
through VMWare running on Linux on the Control machine.

Everything I'm saying here is compatible with the idea of a fourth Control
machine, for the record.  Is anyone saying that we don't need it?

I may not understand the reluctance to let Windows 98 touch bare metal, but
I have sensed that reluctance from certain people.  If running VMWare gets
the Audio Perfect Tools Version 2.0 running on more Access Grid nodes, I
say GO FOR IT IMMEDIATELY!  Our experience yesterday with horrible audio in
a public setting cannot be allowed to happen again.  That's the bottom line.
===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov