building the A/G node

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 17 14:46:34 CDT 2000

At 03:08 PM 4/17/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm having a heck of a time getting the multiple display stuff to work on
>Win2K.  When I boot up, the task bar is on one screen, the desktop icons on
>another & then things usually freeze.  Turns out you really have to have
>monitors attached to each card when you boot up.  Is this normal behavior?
>Isn't there supposed to be some sort of control to choose when/how to use the
>multiple displays?   Any advice for me?

Yup. (cc'd to ag-tech since this may be a faq)

There are two things to remember here. If you have an AGP card in, this
will likely be where the initial bootup messages go. At some point in the
boot (when win2k switches to the graphical boot screen), the display goes
to the "Primary monitor". This is the display that the login window gets
put onto.

I typically configure my multimonitor systems to have a CRT/LCD monitor set
as the primary monitor. The AGP display (or dipslays for a g400) is placed
on the projector where I'm going to put most of the video, since with the
direct draw vic the performance is best there.

This means that the bootup messages will show up on one of the projectors,
so if you want to see 'em you'll need the projector on. I don't reboot much
lately :-) so that's not a problem. As soon as the machine is up enough the
monitor will come to life, and you can log in there.

One thing I've found is that setting a different monitor to be the primary
doesn't necessarily move the taskbar there. You can just drag it over to
where you want it with the mouse.

If you have more display adapters than displays & monitors, uncheck the
"extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" box for that adapter.

hope this helps,
--bob