video projector choices

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 15 17:05:41 CDT 2000

Hey Don,

Good to hear from you again!

The things we're looking for in projectors for the Access Grid are usually:

1 - Lumens (For AG work this helps other design considerations)
2 - Motorized Zoom and Focus (for hands free operation)
3 - A serial port and documented protocol for controlling the projector
4 - 1024x768 Native Resolution (or better)
5 - Throw Angle (this will affect design decisions as well)

Other things and what we think:

- Size/Weight : These are not a huge issue, since the space is supposed to
be a well designed, static space.  You shouldn't be moving AG projectors
around alot.

- Keystone Correction : might be useful on later model projectors, we tend
to ignore it.  Usually it's not implemented as something you'd want to do to
your image.

- AutoResizing/TrueSize/<insert trademarked name here> resampling abilities
: You never want the projector to decide what pixels to throw away.
Inevitably, it will choose the wrong pixel during your most important demo.

- Fan Noise : You may want to evaluate projectors for fan noise, although
many are specifying that on the printed and web available specs. For AG use,
this might be a good thing to consider, especially if you have spaces that
don't do nice things with alot of white noise.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, being distracted by the 70's sunny
weather on a saturday, 5 hours before the monthly beer night I partake of
:-).  Feel free to question, test, and deny any or all of the above, but
definitely do so at your own risk...

--Ivan