Update on Wed 5 pm: Talking Circle - President Clinton Demo]

Frank Gilfeather gilfeath at ahpcc.unm.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:23:40 CDT 2000

All,

Latest information is Clinton arrives at Dine' College in Shiprock at 8
PM on Monday evening.  So we have all day Monday to get the AG running
there and the network and studio set up.  We hope we can get a studio
set up in the lobby of Dine' - if possible - as that is at this time the
primary stop at the college.  If the lobby is not possible, we will be
set up in the visz lab - I am told.  It then depends on Neal Lane and
local college leaders to get the President to walk the distance to the
lab and see the AG demo and other lab features there.

My understanding at this time is that a "talking circle" on the issues
of serving remote sites and related topics such as applications of the
AG, the EPSCoR Alliance activity, plus EOT activity will be taking
place.  Who is speaking when the President walks in - if he does - will
be strictly by chance.  The floor should revert to Al or whoever is at
the Dine' site for any local comments if the President arrives.

Everyone at this end is on 24x7 mode and very eager to make this a
premier show.

*** This effort is to be billed as a demo of a key capability, which the
Alliance along with others, is developing, deploying and applying to the
real world of research, education and community needs. ***

Thanks to ALL who are engaged and all who are supporting this effort.

John Connolley,  We wish you to be on from Kentucky noting the EPSCoR
proposal to put these in each EPSCoR state and you will be pleased that
NM  is joining EPSCoR.  Also please forward this to Dan Vanbelleghem

Dan VanBelleghem, We need you on from ACCESS/DC representing EPSCoR
efforts and that EPSCoR is by nature working hard on DD issues. Also
pleas let me know if you get this message.

Roscoe,  We invite you to be on representing EOT  and efforts at
addressing the digital divide  as a special focus of EOT (however I am
very sensitive, because of our lack of inclusion, for this to be a forum
to extoll the EDUcause award).

I feel this effort  is a demo of a technology to ease the digital divide
effect and especially ease the isolation of colleges such as Dine' .
This message needs to be our thrust in the talking circle  - how do we
apply the AG to bring places like Dine' into closer contact with other
institutions and organizations so to participate in research, training,
education and eventually commerce.

Finally I know this is late on Monday and there is a chance it will not
be seen by the President.  However it will be a "Talking Circle" and a
solid Alliance accomplishment to have achieved this demonstration for a
Presidential visit focusing on the Digital Divide.  Again I reiterate we
have previously run AG sessions involving both campuses of Dine' and UNM
so this is not a contrived demo.  It is an integral part of our Alliance
efforts in the SW both in the PACS and EOT.  In this regard there will
be lots of Indian Press coverage and we need Alliance press coverage as
well - and we need to coordinate with them as the lead (Margaret -
please pass this on to Karen Green).

Sincerely, thanks and good luck to the technical teams,

Frank

--