New dppt (snapshot 3)

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 11 10:42:03 CDT 2000

At 11:31 AM 4/11/2000 -0400, Tom Coffin wrote:

>good stuff.
>
>question: It seems that the display machine struggles with all
>the vic info as it is - does running a master on the display
>eat more cpu than running a client?

Nope. The dppt master is a very low-overhead thing. It polls the powerpoint
every 50ms or so to catch slide changes.

Your display machine should be much happier now that Al got the direct draw
vic working on it, btw. On our display box we see free cycles on both CPUs
with lots of video up. There is still loss with many streams up; our
current guess is that we're running out of PCI bus bandwidth.

>(In the past I have run dppt's on a seperate
>  machine and have used a video switch to
>  project the image during performance time
>  for example: master from a laptop at the podium
>  so the lecturer can control)

So you are just running with a single pane of the display machine? With
only two projected panes this would seem to severely limit the amount of
content you can display.

--bob