Fwd: Re: Hauppage with camera

John A. Greenfield green at AHPCC.Unm.EDU
Thu Sep 23 13:41:04 CDT 1999

Bob,

Do you know which camera they are using? I have had no problems using
s-video cables with my Sony TR7000 or Sony pan-tilt cameras, but they
didn't come with s-video cables so I bought standard ones. They work great
even with 100' S-video cables.

 On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Robert Olson wrote:

> FYI.
>

> >What I've heard is that the S-Video cable is kinda funky.  S-Video cable
> >are supposed to have separate luma and chroma lines, but this cable either
> >merges the two when connecting to the camera, or sends the composite
> >(luma+chroma) signal only to the luma line on the connector. Since luma
> >and chroma are always at different frequencies, they don't collide.
> >
> >However, the various drivers have to do something to the bt8x8 (GPIO?)
> >configuration to make it understand that the S-Video port is really
> >getting a composite signal.  Once this is done (I think some of the
> >drivers have this correct), you'll properly get a color signal.
> >
> >In the mean-time get a RCA cable and connect the camera to the card via
> >that, using the S-Video cable that came with it for nothing but power.
> >That's what I've been doing, and though it's ugly, it works.

John Greenfield
green at arc.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
THE ALBUQUERQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING CENTER
Office # 505-277-8249
Direct # 505-277-9545
Fax #    505-277-8235