Remote Sites -- Many Thanks

Margaret Lewis mlewis at mhpcc.edu
Thu Sep 16 23:14:14 CDT 1999

All,

Many thanks to all access grid nodes who participated in the BU Chautauqua! I
know there were a variety of technical issues that everyone had to wrestle --
your continued support and dedication was much appreciated.

To commemorate the completion of the 1999 Chautauquas, I'd like propose the
following "first every" Chautauqau Excellence Awards:

The Wizard of Oz Award - to Argonne Access Grid team for the "best men/women
behind the curtain." (Toto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore)

The Blair Witch Camera Work Award - to the Access Center in DC for the wonderful
camera work during the tours of the Access Center. Special mention goes to
Argonne Team for their "tour of wires."

>From Moscoe with Love Award - to John Toole and all the tech staff who
brought Moscoe to Boston during Larry's talk.

Best Remote Audience Award - to NCSA for getting together so many folks to
support the various talks.

Westward Ho Award - to UNM for having the pioneer spirit to host the first
Chautauqua and setting the standard of success for future events.

Frequently Flyer Awards - to Larry Smarr for traveling across the country to be
the "live" keynote speaker at all the events. Special mention to the BU and UKY
tech teams who attended all three events.

Best Tap Dancing Award - to UKY for the supercomputer song fest when Argonne had
a power outage.

Best Scene Design Award - to Maui for the ever popular sunrises and ocean views.
Special mention to Access Center for their "color ball" backdrop.

Best "one man" Node - to U of Utah for coming on line for the BU event - and the
great attempt to get the a working access node at SIGGRAPH.

The "Best for Last" Award - to BU who took all the pressure of success by UNM
and
UKY and turned it into a grand finale.