SC 99 Access Grid Demo

Margaret Lewis mlewis at mhpcc.edu
Sun Oct 31 22:02:05 CST 1999

OOOOPS -- forgot to send  you the write up for the demo:

Behind the Scenes of the Access Grid

The Access Grid is an ensemble of resources that support human interaction
across the National Computational Science Alliance Grid, a prototype of the
national computational and information infrastructure for the 21st Century. The
Access Grid consists of multimedia displays, presentation and interaction
environments, and interfaces to visualization environments. Major access points,
called Grid Nodes, provide real-time, multi-point, group-to-group communication
and collaboration that support large-scale distributed meetings, collaborative
work sessions, lectures, and training sessions. Four live Access Grid nodes will
be featured at SC 99 in the Alliance, Argonne National Laboratory, Boston
University, and MHPCC/AHPCC booths, along with nine remote sites located from
the East Coast to Maui. During this demonstration developers will showcase the
technology behind the Access Grid, including Open Source software, off the shelf
computer and networking hardware, and IP multicast technology, and will
demonstrate the Access Grid in action, featuring a multi-site, nation-wide
collaborative session.