Roll Your Own Multicast

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 4 23:57:46 CDT 1999

As promised (although way later than I had hoped) here is the URL for a
PowerPoint presentation that explains how to use GRE Tunneling to solve the
problem of no IP Multicast on your local networks.

   http://www.mcs.anl.gov/home/nickless/RollOwnMulticast.ppt

Please take a look at this if your have been using the Multi-Session Bridge
instead of Native IP Multicast at your Access Grid site.  The bridge has
always been a stopgap measure until Native IP Multicast is deployed--here
is a way to get that deployed even if your site isn't moving quickly enough.

I should mention that the price of the Cisco router mentioned in this
presentation is on the order of $3000--not tens of thousands of dollars
like you might expect.  This same Cisco router can also provide Network
Time Protocol service and DHCP for your Access Grid node.  We have tested
this configuration here at Argonne and are pleased with the results.
===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov