Schedule for SC99 Access Grid w/ QoS demo

Karen Green kareng at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 8 13:37:20 CST 1999

Rick:

The AG schedule may be open, but the Alliance booth demo schedule is very
tight. Even though there are not many demos using the Access Grid, we have
a lot of people who are not doing Grid demos scheduled to use the AG
display system. That is why scheduling may be a problem for our booth. In
addition to the times mentioned below, we have 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday
available. An alternative mentioned by Ian was to use the workstation
dedicated to Globus for this demo. This would give us many more scheduling
options, but I'm not sure if it would work in terms of using the AG from
that workstation.

Karen

At 12:44 PM 11/8/99 -0600, Rick Stevens wrote:
>I looked at the AG schedule and most of it is still empty..  Since the AG
>group is
>still working out the schedule, it certainly is not closed yet.  I want to
>encourage
>everyone to check the AG Web site for the Virtual Venue schedule (which
>should start
>to appear later today).. with the new VV software multiple AG events can be
>going
>on simultaneous (with different subsets of the sites participating), and
>with with
>the ability to move from one virtual location to another.. This indeed
provides
>much more flexibility with the AG schedule..
>
>At 09:45 AM 11/8/99 , Karen Green wrote:
>>All:
>>
>>Our demo schedule has been set for a month, so their is very little
>>available time on the Access Grid in our booth for this demo. Here is what
>>is available:
>>
>>Tuesday, 2 p.m.
>>
>>Thursday, 3 pm.
>>
>>*If our Monday night 8 p.m. demo can be moved, that slot might also be
>>available.
>>
>>Please let me know asap if any of these times work. At this late date, we
>>can't change the schedule too much because other people have already
>>committed their time and effort.
>>
>>Karen
>>

>>At 05:19 PM 11/5/99 -0600, Steve Tuecke wrote:
>> >I think all of the technical ducks are lined up for demos between the ANL,
>> >NCSA, and LBNL booths of Access Grid with network QoS using
>> >Globus/GARA.  To summarize:
>> >
>> >   * NCSA, ANL, and LBNL will each have AG nodes in their booths.  (Steve
>> >Lau confirmed the LBNL AG node today.)
>> >
>> >   * There will be a completely separate network between these three
booths
>> >that will have the QoS support.  Linda has confirmed that this is all set
>> >for all three booths.
>> >     The easiest way to handle this separate network is to setup the AG
>> >machines to get their IP addresses from DHCP.  Then when we want to switch
>> >between normal and QoS network we swap network connections and reboot.
Bob
>> >and Linda have worked out the details of this.
>> >
>> >   * Because of current cisco router limitations, the QoS cannot be done
>> >with multicast.  So I believe the plan is to just to AG QoS demos with
2 AG
>> >nodes at a time, using unicast UDP for audio and video.  (Volker, Linda,
>> >Bob: Can the demo be done with all 3 AG nodes simultaneously?)
>> >
>> >So the issue is now scheduling of the AG nodes for running with QoS.
>> >
>> >The infrastructure on which this demo is running is completely disjoint
>> >from that used by other Globus demos, so the Globus group does not have
any
>> >constraints on when the AG QoS demos can occur.
>> >
>> >I believe Terry Disz is coordinating the AG demos, so can the NCSA and
LBNL

kareng at ncsa.uiuc.edu