bttv device driver

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 3 07:44:57 CST 1999

>   do you link the bttv driver into the kernel or load it as a module?

Now for the longer answer :-), copied to the list as well.

You want to configure the kernel if you're building on to support the
kernel module loader. Then you can put this in /etc/conf.modules:

         alias char-major-81 bttv

This makes the kernel load the bttv module and all of the modules it needs
on the first access of device #81 (/dev/video*).

You may need to create the devices with

         cd /dev
         ./MAKEDEV video

but I think they might be there in 6.1.

You'll need to copy the device .o's out of the bttv driver directory into
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc, overwriting any that might have been
there from the RH distributed bttv.

You'll need to reboot, I think, to have the conf.modules method work. You
can try by hand what the kernel is doing with

         modprobe bttv

Run dmesg to see what happens. This is what I see on my machine:

Linux video capture interface: v0.01 ALPHA
i2c: initialized
bttv0: Brooktree Bt878 (rev 2) bus: 0, devfn: 136, irq: 9, memory: 0xf4001000.
PCI: Enabling bus mastering for device 00:88
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: model: BT878(Hauppauge new (bt878))
i2c: bus registered: bt848-0
i2c: bus unregistered: bt848-0

--bob