ACCESS-DC update on hardware...

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:59:19 CDT 1999

At 11:31 AM 7/22/99 -0600, Richard Coffey wrote:
   >Russ Wolf wrote:
   >
   >> Greetings,
   >>
   >> We have been buying a bunch of stuff lately and I figured it was time to
   >> summarize it so I an sharing it with everyone.
   >
   >Cool!  I'll follow the lead...

Ok, I'll follow too! - here's ACCESS-DC statistics....

Technocratti:
   Tom Coffin

Though I have tried and tried, zero equipment
has been procured or ordered (to my knowledge)
to fullfill accessgrid hardware and software
exact specifications. However, I have put together
some really nice packages using only 1 or 2 vendors.
I'm also looking into some cloning hardware (It's really
difficult to zoom in, adjust audio and mud at the
same time. Fortunately chewing gum during all this is no problem)

In absence or absence, I have had to patch together
what could be a viable backup system.

Computers:
    Display: accesso2.ncsa.uiuc.edu
    SGI O2 with video option card
    Audio: stabile.ncsa.uiuc.edu
    SGI Octane
    (thanks to Stuart Levy for the debugging of an sgi rat)
    dPPT: ball-20.ncsa.uiuc.edu
    HP vectra

(if you think about it the entire thing may be able to
 run on an O2 with a windows simulator software for the dPPT.
 presto! - the 1 machine desktop accessgrid - for the busy
 scientist who must present or participate but are shy of
 big crowds or swamped with abstract data collecting)

Projection:
    2 Infocus LP425z
    Large screen for 2x1 display 16'x8'

Audio and video misc:
    Mackie mixer, 1 cabled mic, 3 wireless mics, Cannon CCU-Vi

note:
I just aquired a video option card for the Octane (thanks Hank)
so hopefully I will be able to integrate a second video feed or,
even better, a screen capture from a CAVE simuator

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu