NanoCruise5 -- "Six Six Six"

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 7 21:33:38 CDT 1999

Why not just have a constant/persistant cruise. I can
try, at ACCESS-DC, to keep us continuously connected. We
have real content walking through the doors every day.

At 05:04 PM 7/7/99 -0500, Mark Hereld wrote:

   >All --
   >
   >	NanoCruise 5
   >	"Six Six Six"
   >	Thursday, July 8, 1999
   >	1 to 3 PM, CDT
   >
   >I understand that Tuesday's NanoCruise 4 went well!  As we are trying
to raise the bar each and every time we head out on a nCruise, this time
we'll try to break new ground.  We want to get 6 sites engaged.  I think we
can count on ANL, UKy, NMU, and ACCESS-DC to be present.  I also think that
NCSA, BU, and Utah are all in a position to engage at this point -- NCSA
has already demonstrated that.  If we can get  BU and/or Utah to
participate in this, we will have made real progress.  Until we get these
sites up to speed, it will be difficult to punch through to the next level.

   >Only a few weeks remain, and we're trying to get all 9 (which is
coincidentally an upside-down six) sites up and running.  One is tempted,
but not obliged to say "Yikes!".

   >On the burner: we are drumming up REAL CONTENT here at Argonne that we
hope to use to fuel a dress rehearsal at one of the next nCruises -- maybe
Tuesday or Thursday of next week.  I encourage each of you to do the same.
What we're looking for:

   >(  ) material that would be interesting to the CS folks at all of the
Access Grid sites -- we don't want to be bored.  it is fair to ask yourself
"what do i want to hear about" and drum up somebody at your institution who
can deliver.  i hope that we can run such a dress rehearsal in a way that
would let the technical folks man their stations (and perfect thier craft)
while interested outsiders participated as interested audience.

   >(  ) full-featured multi-media: want to press the tech.  powerpoint,
video, audio, interactive, demo... all fair game.

   >(  ) at the moment, i'm thinking of a 30 minute format so that we can
explore rich presentations with sequays, change of focus, all that stuff --
and not get burned out on an endurance test.  we'll work our way up to one
or two hours.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu