NanoCruise5 -- "Six Six Six"

Mark Hereld hereld at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 7 17:04:45 CDT 1999

All --

	NanoCruise 5
	"Six Six Six"
	Thursday, July 8, 1999
	1 to 3 PM, CDT

I understand that Tuesday's NanoCruise 4 went well!  As we are trying to raise the bar each and every time we head out on a nCruise, this time we'll try to break new ground.  We want to get 6 sites engaged.  I think we can count on ANL, UKy, NMU, and ACCESS-DC to be present.  I also think that NCSA, BU, and Utah are all in a position to engage at this point -- NCSA has already demonstrated that.  If we can get  BU and/or Utah to participate in this, we will have made real progress.  Until we get these sites up to speed, it will be difficult to punch through to the next level.

Only a few weeks remain, and we're trying to get all 9 (which is coincidentally an upside-down six) sites up and running.  One is tempted, but not obliged to say "Yikes!".

On the burner: we are drumming up REAL CONTENT here at Argonne that we hope to use to fuel a dress rehearsal at one of the next nCruises -- maybe Tuesday or Thursday of next week.  I encourage each of you to do the same.  What we're looking for:

(  ) material that would be interesting to the CS folks at all of the Access Grid sites -- we don't want to be bored.  it is fair to ask yourself "what do i want to hear about" and drum up somebody at your institution who can deliver.  i hope that we can run such a dress rehearsal in a way that would let the technical folks man their stations (and perfect thier craft) while interested outsiders participated as interested audience.

(  ) full-featured multi-media: want to press the tech.  powerpoint, video, audio, interactive, demo... all fair game.

(  ) at the moment, i'm thinking of a 30 minute format so that we can explore rich presentations with sequays, change of focus, all that stuff -- and not get burned out on an endurance test.  we'll work our way up to one or two hours.

Remember: it is crucial that we make our mistakes early.  Also realize that 'early' is almost over.

-- Mark