Tech visitors to Boston Chautauqua

Clay Gaunce cgaunce at pop.uky.edu
Fri Aug 27 10:19:45 CDT 1999

Thanks for the kind words, Russ, and for the invaluable help you provided
here.  Glad you enjoyed your visit and gained insights which should help
with the Boston Chautauqua.  I certainly benefited from having the same
experience at UNM.  Just to clarify for you, as the Producer-Director (PD)
of the event, I was not part of Gazula's crew.  The PD is ultimately in
charge of what occurs during any type of broadcast program, i.e., what goes
on in front of cameras, what camera shots are chosen and presented to the
audience, what sacrifices must be made in terms of content due to timing,
technical problems, etc.  So, while the Technical Director does have
significant responsibilities and must collaborate with the PD both before
and during broadcasts, he or she functions as an extension of the
Producer-Director during a broadcast.  (The Technical Directors for the
Chautauquas in particular have so much on which to concentrate that they
have precious little attention to devote to screens other than to their
computer monitors.)  This is a time-honored process which is followed in
broadcast operations to avoid confusion as to who's in charge and help
ensure as cohesive a presentation as possible.  With the simplified process
which will occur at the permanent AG nodes, the technician will, in a very
real sense, also be the PD.  But an event as large and complex as our
Chautauqua's require, as you know, a full team of people behind the scenes
with a variety of roles to play.  My best advice to your team as it
prepares for the next Chautauqua is to be certain everyone understands his
or responsibilities, both to the event and to each other, in order to avoid
unpleasant yet preventable surprises.