UKY script--draft #1 ... Comments from Nestor

John A. Greenfield green at AHPCC.Unm.EDU
Tue Aug 17 12:01:00 CDT 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Robert Olson wrote:

> >But it does allow the remote  user complete screen control
> >independent of platform of the viewer and presenter. I'm sure everyone
> >knows about this, but thought I would add my 2 cents.
>

> I've actually got some technical solutions to this in mind, that work if
> the original presentation is in ppt. One can make powerpoint export a slide
> as a bitmap/jpeg at an arbitrary resolution, so given a presentation, one
> could export the whole thing as a series of images (including the
> transitions, I think). Then all we'd need is a simple viewer client that
> would show the images, and accept either local input for a master, or
> remote slide-change events for a client. This could be done via a shared
> web browser as well.
>
> Just a SMOP ...
>
> (simple matter of programming)

The only problem with this is that it adds more lead time to convert the
powerpoint files before each presentation. My experience is that you will
get several people giving you powerpoint slides within hours of their
presentation. Also, in most of the chautauqua cases, there is likely to be
a severely limited number of people and machines to work with outside of
those used for the AG node. What this means is taht all powerpoint
conversion, upload to url's etc. must be done during scheduled breaks.
The break lengths in UNM's chautauqua were pretty much the minimal length
possible to complete the last minute work needed.

John Greenfield
green at arc.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
THE ALBUQUERQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING CENTER
Office # 505-277-8249
Direct # 505-277-9545
Fax #    505-277-8235