[AG-DEV] Continual of AG services

John I. Quebedeaux, Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Mon Mar 12 08:46:11 CDT 2012

Hey Jason!

Louisiana, USA - is a fairly heavy user of the Access Grid as part of an NIH
grant and other sites opting in for biomedical seminars, courses, and
meetings. This last year our statistics show a steady use of the AG matching
the year before - approximately 500 events across the state each of the last
two years. For ourselves, we've transitioned from an environment where most
of the events were centered or supported centrally to one where its working
so well that little central support is required.

What I mean by that is I don't feel like I have to be checking in on events
on an hourly/daily basis to know that they're doing just fine without anyone
calling me about an audio, networking, or etc. issue. Most of our
installations now are single or dual machine setups, long gone are the 3-4
computer setups.

Currently we're running our own venue server and fall back to NCSA's or
Argonne's on an emergency basis, but would need - from what I can see, to
transition to also running own jabber server, bridge registry, and
certificate authority to continue as we have.

So, each of the points you made for importance I think are all important in
terms of transition and documentation to enable groups to setup for this.

I would also like to add the NCSA AG Scheduler to this list, we utilize it
heavily, so much so, that I am concerned if few others are - but no mention
of its continued availability was made although I recognize it is maintained
by another group. I don't know what scheduler, if any, other groups utilize
for their Access Grid scheduling that is so well integrated with the AG
venue servers.

As ipv6 becomes relevant and prelevant, we're going to have issues there as
well unless the primary video and audio tools are updated or transitioned,
etc. so that's probably another item to keep in mind and 'on the list'?

I honestly don't know what our utilization will look like say, 2 years from
now, with the advent of other forms of conferencing, particularly those on
personal type devices becoming easier to use. Discussions regarding other
types of systems might be useful as well that can utilize the AG
installations easily may be welcome.

You can count me in for support.

Cheers,

-John Q.

--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.
Louisiana State University; Biological Sciences