[AG-DEV] AccessGrid setting locale?

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 1 16:44:26 CDT 2011

On 02/04/2011, at 6:04 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed some interesting effects in a C++ application I'm
> developing that calls various AG functions via the Python API. My
> app also uses wxWidgets, and when I was experimenting with its
> logging functions, I noticed that the timestamp format it uses
> changes after I call a standard import agversion and
> agversion.select(3). I looked a bit for any locale setting AG does
> and found locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'C') in Toolkit.py.
> Commenting this line out prevents the timestamp (presumably the
> associated locale settings as well) from changing; I haven't tested
> whatever effect it may have on the venue client. I'm curious as to
> what the rationale for this call is, as even the python docs (http://docs.python.org/library/locale.html
> ) say it is not necessarily a good idea to set this in a context
> like this ("It is generally a bad idea to call setlocale() in some
> library routine, since as a side effect it affects the entire
> program.") Any input on this issue would be great.

Andrew,

It was added so that non-english language users could use the toolkit.
I believe the original issue was incorrect time stamping in the chat
window but there was also some other side effect (which I can't recall
right now) that was fixed by setting the locale.

If there's a better way (than setting the locale like that) to fix the
language issue then lets do it ...

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland