[AG-DEV] UCL common library & VPMedia

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 10 04:58:19 CDT 2009

On 05/06/2009, at 1:15 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks, I was able to compile VPMedia with that copy of common.
> Judging by the differences between the two, it looks like
> set_umtp_dest got removed entirely. Piers, is this expected?
>
> I started attempting to compile VP, but I'm running into some issues
> with the SConstruct script:
> -the check for XMLRPC fails, and it seems to have had some major API
> changes (assuming the xmlrpc-c in the Ubuntu package repository is
> the most recent), so that won't be usable without major changes in VP,
> -the TryLink for GLEW fails, but when I try to run the code
> standalone it works fine,
> -the script itself breaks:
> TypeError: list indices must be integers:
>   File "/home/andrew/work/VP/VP/SConstruct", line 702:
>     print env['CPPDEFINES']['VP_VERSION']
>
> env['CPPDEFINES'] should be a dictionary, but at some point it
> apparently gets turned into a list. I think this happens in
> myParseConfig, but it's hard to tell as my Python is pretty weak.
> Has anyone worked with VP/successfully compiled it recently?

Andrew,

Recently, yes; with that particular version of common, no.

Successful compilation is with, amongst others, Ubuntu Jaunty. The
patches and methodology can be extracted from the Ubuntu source tarball:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/debuntu/jaunty/vpcscreen_0.2-3.tar.gz

Unpack it to find a vpcscreen-0.2 directory tree or, if you have the
UQVislab repo added to your sources, run:
     apt-get source vpcscreen
which will create the vpcscreen-0.2 directory tree.

In the directory tree, the build methodology will be found in the
debian/rules file and prerequisite packages are named in debian/
control.  The build is actually in two parts. You'll see that in the
debian/rules file (its actually a Makefile) is where all the patches
are applied (each new release seems to need additional patching) and
the patches themselves are found in debian/patches. An external
script, debian/buildag.sh, is invoked to do the actual building and
then creating the vpcscreen service. Its a bit tortuous because the
methodology goes back to when I was first learning how to make Debian
& Ubuntu packages and, with each new release, I've just been updating
version numbers and patches as required. I'd do it differently if I
were starting again now.

A possibly more transparent method can be seen in the Slackware build
script; a tarball of the script & patches is attached below.

In both cases, the supplied common is used, rather than the latest UCL
version but maybe you'll find some bits there that'll help you with
your UCL common quest.

chris