[AG-DEV] Running AG3 From CVS on RHEL4 Experiences

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 01:51:02 CST 2006

Hi Todd,

> Just wanted to document my experiences with running AG3 from CVS on RH EL
> 4.
>
> I started by downloading/installing all the pre-requisites, including
> rebuilding the wxPython rpms
> from the wxPython site (to get the 2.6 versions).  Then I checked out the
> sources from CVS, cd'd
> into AccessGrid/tools and ran 'python CvsSetup.py -a ..' as per the
> instructions at
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/cvs.html.

I've only done a little investigation into doing FC3/RHEL4 AGTk 3.0 beta
RPMs in the last few days. The main delay is that I was hoping to get rid of
the requirement for Apple's mDNSResponder and use Avahi instead. Howl which
comes with FC3 & FC4 isn't suitable as it doesn't provide all the necessary
functionality, Avahi (which comes with FC5) on the other hand provides both
Howl and mDNSResponder compatible libraries. On FC4, I now provide Avahi
RPMs which obsolete and remove the Howl (and mDNSResponder) RPMs, bonjour-py
builds and runs fine with Avahi.

Anyway, on FC3 it now looks like I'm going to have to provide mDNSResponder
RPMs and instructions on how to turn Howl off. I'll hopefully have FC3 RPMs
ready early next week.

Cheers,
Doug