[AG-DEV] node services connecting via a unicast bridge?

Darran Edmundson darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 20 20:11:20 CDT 2005

Hi All,

We've encountered a problem with AGDeviceControl when run on a node
connecting
via a unicast bridge.  If you look at our node service script:
     http://trac.agcentral.org/AGDeviceControl/file/trunk/
agdevicecontrol/AGTk/DeviceControlService.py

you'll see that we define an agdevicecontrol producer stream.   This
gives us a multicast
group and port over which we do AGDeviceControl heartbeat and
discovery.  This works
beautifully for multicast-connected nodes.  However, nodes connected
via a unicast
bridge are not receiving heartbeats.  We have verified this with an
Ethereal packet
dump.  Namely, vic and rat streams are coming through but not our
custom agdevicecontrol
traffic.  Surely the bridge routes all streams, no?

Cheers,
Darran.