Notes from Sura/ViDe

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 28 23:45:24 CST 2004

Terry Disz wrote:

> Tom,
>

> I am not sure what you mean. Last time I saw the VIDE folks, the vast
> majority were doing h.323 systems delivering a single h.261 encoded
> stream, the same codec we use.

Polycom and Radvision are doing h.263.  Todd Needham from Microsoft
showed me their conference xp client doing 640x480 using windows media
codecs.  The telesuite people are doing h.264.  I've been under the
impression that the h323 folks were generally using h263; maybe that's
not true.

> So, in terms of video pixels delivered to the user, we far outpace
> those systems. As far as individual streams - can't we improve our
> h.261 streams to look as good as the ones delivered by the commercial
> vendors?

I've heard you guys talk about better quality h261 encoders from
commercial sources, but the resolution is still lower, right?

>  If some are using h.263 or something approaching NTSC, can you tell
> how many people are using this?

I have no idea.

>  What does pushing on HD and DV mean? Is there a roadmap from them for
> getting these in use? What do the vendors say about that?

Internet2 and ResearchChannel were demonstrating HD and DV, respectively
(or more accurately, showcasing it).  I expect their slides to show up
on the conference website before long, and hopefully they'll answer
these questions.