Notes from Sura/ViDe

Terry Disz disz at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 26 09:50:45 CST 2004

Tom,

I am not sure what you mean. Last time I saw the VIDE folks, the vast
majority were doing h.323 systems delivering a single h.261 encoded
stream, the same codec we use. So, in terms of video pixels delivered to
the user, we far outpace those systems. As far as individual streams -
can't we improve our h.261 streams to look as good as the ones delivered
by the commercial vendors?

If some are using h.263 or something approaching NTSC, can you tell how
many people are using this?

What does pushing on HD and DV mean? Is there a roadmap from them for
getting these in use? What do the vendors say about that?

I see Bob and Ivan have already addressed our options for better video,
but I am just wondering how much better, how soon, how many of our users
would upgrade facilities to obtain it - which I understand is a
different question than advertising that we can deliver high quality
video.

I am wondering if anyone has any pointers to show how much better the
video conferencing experience is with varying quality video streams and
varying numbers of streams?

Terry