Authorization UI Discussion

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 17 15:02:40 CST 2004

Two possible solutions for authorization UI:

1. Put authorization panel straight in Venue Management frame and use
apply button to update authorization manager.

2. Use a button to open the authorization dialog from Venue Management
frame and then click ok in dialog to update authorization manager.

My personal reasons for using solution 2:

Consistency:

- The first tab (venues) uses solution 1. A user clicks on add, modify,
delete buttons if they want to change or view information. Otherwise, the
information that would have to go into the venues tab would be too much
for a user to comprehend and it would look messy. Adding an apply button
to tab 2 and 3 but not tab 1, I think, would be confusing.

Flexibility:

- The authorization model is pretty complex to display to users. If, for
some reason, we want to add more information to the UI it is easier to
expand if it is placed in a separate dialog.

Appearance:

 - It is very hard to add all information in one frame and make it look
good.

Performance:

- We have a choice of adding a delay when users click on the
authorization tab (solution 1) or when users click on the button
(solution 2). Personally, I do not like a delay when flipping between
tabs in a notebook.

Solution 2 is in place in CVS. However, if you think this is confusing or
annoying, please let me know and I'll change it.

Susanne