Programmer's Manual - Draft

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 15 10:57:49 CST 2004

Here is a draft document of a programmer's manual for shared
applications.  The information and code examples are reflecting current
CVS code that will be available in the next release. It would be great if
you could read it through and give comments, both on document and new
design.

Design Issues:
--------------

- Authorization.
The authorization mechanism used for shared applications right now are
based on a client's private ID. Should we instead use the same
authorization as the rest of the toolkit (certificates etc)?

To have a consisten interface, I added private ID to all SOAP methods of
the application service.  Please, let me know if there are specific cases
where we need methods without the private ID authorization.

- Heart beats.
Currently, if the application service goes down, clients are not notified
they got disconnected. Also, if a client would crash for some reason,
the service can not tell the client is dead. Would it be a good idea to
introduce a heart beat mechanism, similar to the one existing in Venues,
for shared applications?

- Client Profile
When the Venue Client has been refactored to use a client ID, the client
profile argument will be replaced with that ID.

- Open vs. Join
I changed the standard command for application sessions to Join instead of
Open.  I think it makes more sense to say join an applicatin session, in
the manual and the user interface, instead of open.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Susanne