IPv6

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 12:31:10 CDT 2004

>There are a couple possibilities, mostly I need an answer on
>whether machines in your hw lab are enough (sounds like),
>because that makes it easier.  Or if you need office machines
>on a v6-capable net, that is a little harder.  If I plan on just
>dropping a v6 capable net into the hw lab via a cable, does that
>same cable need to carry the regular v4 traffic?  This can be done.
>Slightly easier without.

I think having a v6-only cable would be fine.

>If we decide to bring it up on the ANL border, I would like
>expected traffic rates and such from you, so I can study ahead
>what the impact on the router might be.  It is one of our older
>routers.

Initially we wouldn't be doing much media stuff; especially as I'm not sure
what the real-life status of v6 multicast is. We might look into unicast
bridging of UDP traffic, but initially that could be in multiples of
256Kbps audio stuff. I don't have a good feel for actual numbers for this,
but it's TCP-based control traffic.

thanks,

--bob