IPv6

Caren Litvanyi litvanyi at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 11:49:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Robert Olson wrote:

> >How to proceed?  Would you guys be able to tell me what machines
> >where will need v6 in the short-medium term?  I will try to engineer
> >it so adds/moves/changes will be fairly painless, but I need a
> >starting point.  Drop by my office anytime if you want to chat about
> >this stuff, too.
>
> I'd be happy with a drop physically in our hwlab that we take the machines to.
>
> Is it possible to tunnel v6 thru the infrastructure to a v6-capable router?

There are a couple possibilities, mostly I need an answer on
whether machines in your hw lab are enough (sounds like),
because that makes it easier.  Or if you need office machines
on a v6-capable net, that is a little harder.  If I plan on just
dropping a v6 capable net into the hw lab via a cable, does that
same cable need to carry the regular v4 traffic?  This can be done.
Slightly easier without.

ANL has one border router that is somewhat capable of doing
v6, but we are not currently routing v6 with it.  It has no
outside connectivity over v6 at this time.  Our division router
cannot do v6, so I need to tunnel/vlan/etc through that, either
to the ANL border and set that up, or directly to MREN.

If we decide to bring it up on the ANL border, I would like
expected traffic rates and such from you, so I can study ahead
what the impact on the router might be.  It is one of our older
routers.  I don't think it will fall over, but I ought to do
some homework on it to be sure.  Taking it direct to MREN is
quite safe, but sort of ugly from a topology/management angle.
The little router up there already does v6.
(We have the same problem at MREN that the main router up there
cannot do v6, only the smaller one - I'm working on fixing that;
that project is taking up a lot of my time these days...)

Thanks,
Caren

Caren Litvanyi
network engineer ANL-MCS/MREN/StarLight