IPv6

Caren Litvanyi litvanyi at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 11:24:16 CDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Robert Olson wrote:

> At 05:07 PM 4/13/2004, Caren Litvanyi wrote:
> >The 2621 will do v6.  I'd need to compare its performance capabilities
> >with your needed average packet-per-second rate, though.  I bet it
> >is not able to handle much, but I am not sure.
> >The question is, who do you want to talk to?  If you literally only
> >want *within* a lab, no router is needed.  We create a vlan for you,
> >and you play in that isolated vlan sandbox.  The switches won't care.
> >When you want to test v6 AG (or any other app), with another site,
> >well, then we have some planning and work to do.  Getting from here
> >to there is what requires infrastructure upgrades, or, for the short-
> >term, engineering around the problem in one of several ways.
> >Also, don't forget infrastructure issues like supporting v6 in DNS.
>

> The first step would be to be able to talk v6 between a set of hosts
> locally, and unicast v6 to hosts externally.

The 'and' between these is what causes me heartburn.
The first half of the sentence is relatively easy, but as I mentioned,
your current office-net configs mean some changes will be required,
one way or another, to get this working if your offices are included.

The second half, I need to engineer around that our net cannot do
this in the short-medium term.  We're talking at least mid 5 figures
to get our net minimally routing IPv6; I need to check on card
compatibility issues.  I'm not sure if it will work without replacing
line cards.  This could take up to multiple 6 figures for the full
forklift.

Since I don't see that sort of money coming my way anytime soon,
we can work on finding some other way for now.

How to proceed?  Would you guys be able to tell me what machines
where will need v6 in the short-medium term?  I will try to engineer
it so adds/moves/changes will be fairly painless, but I need a
starting point.  Drop by my office anytime if you want to chat about
this stuff, too.

> I wonder how painful it is to use v6 without DNS..

Yeah, my guess is you could survive without for a while.
I simply don't have the time to work on the DNS aspect, nor am
I the best/most knowledgeable in that area...

Thanks,
Caren

Caren Litvanyi
network engineer ANL-MCS/MREN/StarLight