FW: New SC Global Beacon

Terry Disz disz at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 4 13:56:31 CST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-scg03-l at bu.edu [mailto:owner-scg03-l at bu.edu] On Behalf Of
Jennifer Teig von Hoffman
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:52 PM
To: Scg03-Sites-L; Scg03sat-L; scg03-l
Subject: Re: New SC Global Beacon

Hi everybody,

This is very important! If your network is having problems, this can
help. If your network is not having problems, we need your site on the
beacon as a point of comparison, to help us track down where the
problems are.

This is a quick and easy install -- please do it today.

Cheers,
Jennifer

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/beacon/newbeacon/beacon-0.9.06.tar.gz

> Please make sure that you install 0.9.06 and, if you happen to be
running an
> older version, please take a moment to upgrade.
>
> If you haven't already, please send me an email with the IP address or
the
> hostname of your audio, video, and display servers, and indicate which
one
> will be running your beacon.  This information will help us help you
and
> other SC Global participants diagnose and resolve problems going
forward.

> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
>
> Eric Gauthier
>   Network Engineer
>   617-353-8218 ~^~ elg at bu.edu
> Boston University - Office of IT
>
> At 06:33 PM 10/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>As many of you know, the NLANR Beacon Server is an invaluable tool for
>>diagnosing and debugging multicast problems.  Participating hosts
>>periodically send out multicast-based hello's and log the hello's
which

> they
>
>>see, then the NLANR Beacon server aggregates all of this information
and
>>presents a reachability matrix.  When a node begins to have trouble
with
>>their AccessGrid streams, a quick check of the reachability matrix
helps

>>determine if the cause is the multicast-enabled portion of your local
or
>>wide-area network.
>>
>>Today, NLANR released an updated version of their second generation
Beacon

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/beacon/newbeacon/beacon-0.9.05.tar.gz