design doc for event service

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 3 16:57:38 CST 2003

Do we a document describing the design parameters of the event service? I'm
thinking of things like precise semantics of membership, latency
requirments, expected use (jsut the venue? apps?), scaling targets.

I don't recall seeing one, and had to work some of that out for myself from
the code when I originally started looking at it to build the GSI-asynch
version of it. I think if we can lay out some of what the event service is
*supposed* to be doing, we can determine if it's doing it or not.

I also wonder how the event service relates to any of the existing event
services (corba, etc). There's a pretty rich literature on the topic.

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?q=event+service&submit=Search+Documents&cs=1

for one:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/users/carzanig/siena/index.html

--bob