Document Process Update

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 3 11:25:34 CST 2003

At 10:52 AM 11/3/2003, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

>Are we going to see this document before you leave for vacation?
>
>We're blocking the next cycle on the design documents, so everything is
>stalled on the security design document(s) and Tom's node mgmt design
>updates.
>
>I'm anxious to have them done.

No, it won't be done then.

I think that if we're declaring we can't make any more process until these
are done, the ensuing spare time can go toward making what's there now solid.

I'm worried about the stability of the base system still; we're seeing a
lot of TVS restarts being required, and folks still seem to be generally
having problems using the AG2 software. I know I have a pile of things I
want to do with the security/cert mgmt side of things before progressing on
to anything drastically new. And these aren't deep design-related issues,
they are detail-oriented engineering issues that I need to make right to
make things work well for the users.

I also have concerns about the use of the event channel. Since everything
depends on it, it really needs to be rock solid, and it apparently is not
(text client hangs, etc). If it's being affected by SOAP.py-related
slowdowns, perhaps we need to investigate moving the event service to its
own process, and ensure that the code is dead simple and dead solid. Or
perhaps we need to move away from relying on the event service for basic
operation, using some notion of soft-state registration on the clients
instead of the existence of active TCP connections via the event service.

--bob