getting shared apps working

Thomas Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 14 16:27:54 CDT 2003

Condensing out of this process the steps for an individual shared app:

At this point, a shared app package consists of two files:  an app file
that describes the application and an executable (python) file.  The app
file looks like this:

[application]
name = SharedBrowser
description = A shared web browser for the Access Grid
mimetype = application/x-ag-shared-browser

For each shared app, do this:

- Copy .app file and app client (.py) for application into
SystemConfigDir/applications/APP
    (e.g., copy SharedBrowser.app and SharedBrowser.py into
     SystemConfigDir/applications/SharedBrowser)
- Put an entry in the mailcap file (location below)
    (e.g., pointing at
SystemConfigDir/applications/SharedBrowser/SharedBrowser.py)

As far as I know, that's all we need to do to install a shared app.  Bob
might comment about the SharedPresentation using a .bat file, since I'm
not sure whether/why something special is being done there.

Tom