License state

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 13 08:57:23 CDT 2003

Hey,

I'm just doing another pass at making sure out copyrights/license state are
correct in prep for final. This is the list of software we require, that I
came up with:

License state:

 - Python 2.2 -- OSF, GPL Compatible, no copyleft
 - wxWindows -- LGPL (libraries), BSD (documentation), GPL (?)
 - wxGTK -- ?
 - wxPython -- ?
 - Logging -- BSD-style
 - pyIPC - LGPL
 - pyOpenSSL - LGPL
 - Globus - BSD-derived
 - pyGlobus - BSD-derived
 - rat - BSD-style
 - vic - BSD-style
 - OpenMASH - BSD

Questions I think we have to tackle:

What's missing?

What gets packaged up as AGTk and what's packaged as pre-requisite?

My goal would be to be minimize constraining licenses (GPL/LGPL) in favor of
more open BSD style licenses. However, it would appear some of our choices
will make that difficult :-).

If we can be sure that anything packaged as part of the actual AGTk is
AGTkPL compatible (aka BSD compatible) that'd be ideal. Then the possible
pre-requisite software bundle can have it's own licensing.

I'm assuming at some level two packages per platform 1) prerequisite stuff
(but specific to AGTk) and 2) AGTk and related stuff.  Let me know if that
makes sense or if you have other opinions.

--Ivan

PS -- if anyone can verify the licensing of wxPython and wxGTK that'd be
great.