AG2 getting started page

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 8 10:51:35 CDT 2003

At 10:06 AM 7/8/2003 -0500, Michael E. Papka wrote:
>Well in my mind they are one in the same there is not one without the other,
>so supporting the AG or supporting AGtk is the same thing and we need to get
>the community involved in doing so.

They are quite distinct. Supporting AGTk means answering questions about
the particular software that makes up AGTk, installation issues, etc. Read
the documents about having meetings, etc, to see how much more the AG is
than the underlying tech.

While I agree it is good to get the community invovled, as the developers
of the software I believe we have a responsibility to ensure that it at
least does what is advertised, and that there is a mechanism for people to
contact the development group.

There can be AG without AGTk2; the continuing use of the AG1 software, the
success of the NCSA scheduler, and the fact that the Aussies have recreated
the AG client software demonstrate that. I think it's dangerous to assume
otherwise.

>It was unclear to me if you are embarrassed that the code has fundamental
>problems or that the list is involved in solving them.

That there are fundamental problems.