AG2 getting started page

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 7 10:57:29 CDT 2003

Bob,

good points, the pages are group readable/writable, but in order to
keep mayhem to a minimum it'd be good if we had some social protocol to
manage chaos :-).

Here's my responses inline:

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 10:04 AM, Mary Fritsch wrote:

> Bob,
>
> tell me what I can do to help here... I don't maintain this page, but
> instead maintain this page...
> http://www.accessgrid.org/documentation/gettingstarted.html... maybe
> we can incorporate what is needed and just use one...
> Mary

We're always going to have two sets of pages, those that are AGTk
specific and those that are for the Access Grid Community.  The getting
started is extremely AGTk specific and wouldn't apply to anybody elses
AG software (if they wrote it). Therefore, this is material that should
probably live in the MCS research pages, and not AG.org (it could and
probably should be pointed to from AG.org however).

> At 07:04 AM 7/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>> I was just reading this, the Users->Getting Started page, which is
>> the same as the developers' getting started page.
>>
>> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/index.html
>>
>>> Getting Started
>>>
>>> Outlined here are the instructions for getting started developing
>>> software related to the Access Grid. If you experience any
>>> difficulty with this process please send email to the AG-Tech
>>> mailing list so that we can address the problems.
>>>
>>> Get on the AG Tech mailing list.
>>> Get the pre-requisite software installed.
>>
>> I think there are a couple problems here.  We shouldn't be
>> encouraging people subscribe to ag-tech just to use the software
>> (ag-users would be more appropriate if anything), and it sounds like
>> we're making ag-tech the pathway to technical support, not a local
>> MCS/AG developers' address. (I'd been wondering why people kept
>> writing to ag-tech with startup problems..)

I think ag-users would be a great change, we've always used ag-tech so
it showed up there too.

The second problem isn't one that page changes will fix, right? it's a
mental model we have to all get coherent on. I think my plan has always
been to minimize tech-support, and evolve ag-tech into a developers
list. I don't recall jennifers plan for ag-users (but I seem to recall
it being even higher level than tech support), but pointed users there
is consistent with the name :-).

If you want to make these changes it's probably pretty easy using
dreamweaver (that's what I use for our pages).

--Ivan