Notes re: AG Node Management

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 31 21:12:42 CST 2003

Here's my list of things that were missing. I got this stuff working on my
laptop.

#1) Vic -- I used the stock UCL vic from the ag webpages, it installed
itself in \Program Files\mbone\vic.exe. This was fine for the actual
service, but the setupvideo.py bailed hard until I did this (a trick I found
via google):

os.system('"\\Program Files\\mbone\\vic.exe" -u %s 224.2.2.2/2000' %
(tclScriptFile) )

Apparently the '"..." ' does what it should and passes "" to the shell to
keep the spaces working.

#2) The next thing was the need for direcories I didn't have (and the need
to create them). This should become something in the configuration file for
these services (every service should have a config file! :-). Then if they
don't exist the user can be prompted to either supply one or use the
specified default.

#3) The final thing (I think) was that the service packages are not actually
present. We need to package them up for the (binary/user) install and have
them put in the default place. Users don't want to have to find *.svc and
*.py (that correlate) and zip them up in pairs...really. I don't even want
to have to do that. We should have a python script that's part of the
release engineering tools to do this, it knows about zip archives.

Other than that it was great; Oh, the last thing. VideoConsumerService.py
bailed after import sys because of line feed stuff. I know I have never
touched this file, so I *can't* be to blame :-).