Globus versions

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 5 10:19:27 CDT 2003

I did a little poking since I ran into problems getting the programmatic
grid_proxy_init working on Linux (it is working fine on Windows).

On windows, we're using Globus 2.2 with GSI 2.0.

On Linux, we're using strictly Globus 2.0. That version has an
initialization problem with pyGlobus that breaks gpi. I chased it some, but
it's still not resolved.

GT2.2 has the fixes available for that, which is apparently why I was able
to make things work on Windows.

I peered at the differences between the 2.0 and 2.2 versions of pyGlobus,
and at the fixes I've put into the FL version of it. They should be fairly
straightforward to port over (even though they took a huge amount of time
to work out, the actual code size is pretty small).

Considerations:

Win32 globus work underway again inna DSL. New distribution availability is
a 3-month deliverable.

We'll need to do some porting work of our fixes into a 2.2 or 2.4 pyGlobus
(and give the fixes back; there are still some old fixes I did and sent
last year that don't show up in current pyGlobus CVS).

Given the timeframe, it's probably best to not do this yet. I'll attempt to
get the programmatic gpi working on Linux, but if I can't I'll just sigh
and use the ugly invoke-the-executable version, on Linux anyway.

--bob