[AG-TECH] AG2.0 and linux

Thomas Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 24 10:30:12 CDT 2003

Dave:

CVS is our live code base, so it's always changing.  It has changed
since beta3 was released.  Using CVS code has implicit caveats because
it is development code, which means it is unsupported and difficult to
report bugs against.

Having said that...

If you want to connect to the vv2:9000 server, you should use the venue
client included in the beta3 release.

If you want to run a venue server, you can execute VenueServer.py.  By
default, it will run on hostname:8000.  The venue server will create a
single venue at startup.  To access this server from outside your
firewall, you would need to open ports 8000, 8002, 8004, and 8006.  We
are working on user guide materials now, so you'll have a better
reference in the future.

The client/server mismatch is a problem simply because the venuestate
data structure changed between beta3 and now.  vv2:9000 is running
beta3, and you are running a post-beta3 client, so they each assume a
different venue state data structure.

I hope this helps.

Tom